1. SHOE BOX Use an empty shoe box (standard size, please) or a small plastic container. Divine Redeemer has show boxes that you may use. Just come on in and pick them up. You can wrap the box (lid separately), but wrapping is not required. Most importantly, pray for the child who will receive your gift.
2. BOY OR GIRL Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child’s age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Divine Redeemer has labels that you can use for marking the gender of the child and the age. Mark the correct age category on the label, and tape the label to the top of your box.
3. FILL WITH GIFTS Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child. Use the gift ideas provided below.
• SCHOOL SUPPLIES: Pens, pencils and sharpeners, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
• TOYS: Small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, small Etch A Sketch,® toys that light up or make noise (with extra batteries), Slinky,® etc.
• HYGIENE ITEMS: Toothbrush, toothpaste, mild bar soap (in a plastic bag), comb, washcloth, etc.
• OTHER: T-shirts, socks, ball caps, sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries)
• A PERSONAL NOTE: You may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. (If you include your name and address, the child may write back.)
DO NOT INCLUDE: Used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; out- of-date candy; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such assnow globes or glass containers; aerosol cans.
4. DROP OFF Place a rubber band around each closed shoe box and drop it off at Divine Redeemer Lutheran Church and School during our collection week, November 11-18, 2013.
We need volunteers during the months of November and December to help pack, load and deliver the shoe boxes. There are many ways and many opportunities to help with Operation Christmas Child at Divine Redeemer Lutheran Church and School. For more information, contact Terry Williams at 920-355-4068 firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mission of Operation Christmas Child is to demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to needy children around the world, and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.
Divine Redeemer Lutheran Church and School
N48 W31385 Hill St., Hartland, WI 53029
P: 262-367-8400 | F: 262-367-9410 | W: www.drlc.org